Chicago TMJ Dentist
TMJ Disorder is a malfunction of the temporomandibular joint, one of the most complex joints in the human body because of its hinge motion capability along with sliding back and forth. There are a variety of reasons for the onset of this disorder, some of which are a traumatic injury, arthritis, or a discrepancy in your bite.
Symptoms Of TMJ Disorder
This is only a partial list of TMJ symptoms because they are so varied and extensive. If you are suffering from any of the following, feel free to contact our office to help evaluate whether you are suffering from TMJ:
- Excessive grinding of the teeth or clenching.
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears).
- Limited range in opening the mouth.
- Worn, chipped, or cracked teeth.
- Pain in the chewing muscles.
- Headaches in the temporal area.
- Noises in the joint, such as clicking, popping, grinding, or crackling.
Treatment Of TMJ Disorder
Dr. Olono has been treating TMJ since 1985. When you’re first diagnosed with TMJ disorder, he’ll begin by fitting you with a nightguard orthotic. This fits comfortably over your top teeth, cushioning any unconscious grinding or clenching you may do. He may also prescribe flexeril, an oral tablet that successfully treats muscle spasms.
If you suspect you have TMJ, feel free to request an appointment with our office to get relief from your pain.